Cauliflower has been the big “switch out” when it comes to eating healthy or gluten free. I know I substituted cauliflower for potatoes for a dinner party recently and while I could taste the slight difference, it wasn’t so bad that I wouldn’t do it again. Cauliflower pizza crust has been popping up on all my food sites for over a year now and I have been meaning to try it but it looked like a lot of work so I have been passing. One year later and a detox motivated me to try a recipe for cauliflower pizza and I am glad that I did try it.
I did a lot of research on recipes to understand how it all comes together and what I found:
- Most recipes had goat cheese as the cheese of choice to bind the cauliflower
- The secret is to wring out as much water from the boiled cauliflower as you can (I did alright on this one but I could have done better), wringing out the water makes the crust more crisp
- You will save time using a food processor and if you do not have a food processor, just chop the cauliflower as small as you can (see my photos below)
- Remember it is cauliflower so even if it looks like pizza it will have that cauliflower taste
- A secret I have, add a little baking soda to the water, this helps to eliminate gas from the cauliflower, just use 1/8 of teaspoon as you don’t want any weird flavors from the baking soda
Here is what I did, I took the cauliflower florets and placed them in my food processor
Pulse the cauliflower until they are finely chopped (looks like rice)
Boil water, add baking soda to water
add riced cauliflower, cook for 4-5 minutes
strain in a fine mesh strainer
take a towel and wring out to get out as much water as you can
meanwhile add egg and goat cheese in a bowl
mix together, add Italian seasonings
add cooked cauliflower, mix well. Roll cauliflower dough out into any shape you desire, I did a rectangle
roll into 1/4-1/3″ thick
bake for 35-40 minutes and until lightly browned
add sauce (I did pesto/tomato, this is why I did a rectangle vs round)
top with cheese and your favorite toppings, I did tomatoes
This is a great alternative for anyone who is gluten free or wants a better option in eating a little healthier. You can serve it as an appetizer or make it for dinner. I like to play around with toppings and sauce, so I did the variety, you can play with the sauces and change it up a bit, also the recipe can be doubled easily. Let me know what you think of my recipe or if you have a recipe you would like me to make, I love exploring!!!
Thank you for visiting my site.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a comment and if you enjoy my site, please subscribe. To subscribe, go to the box listed on the top of the page “Subscribe Via Email” and input your email address.
When you subscribe, you will be emailed a link to confirm the subscription, be sure to click on that link to activate your account.
Thank you again ~ Patty Limatola-Tanenbaum